Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cox ng \(1\)

Default automatically numbering rows

I wish to have rows automatically numbered in column "A" according to the
content in column "B". If column "B" has text or numbers in a cell I do not
want to number that row in column "A". If column "B" is blank in a cell I
want to number that row in column "A". I found the following formula that
works the opposite of what I want "=IF(B1<"",COUNTA($B$1:B1)&".","")" .
What would the formula be if I wanted to numerically count the blank cells
in "B" and skip the context cells in "B"? Thanks for you consideration.
Regards