Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boethius1

Default Path to Lookup from another document

Hi, thanks for your reply. However still can't get to work.

Have simplified path to

=VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\New Code Set
up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

When ask it to look it does not pull through info and deletes the C:
drive and folder path from equation to leave

=VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

Very confusing!

Thanks for the BTW but first things first!

Thanks, Sharon

----------------------:)

ERR229 Wrote:
The syntax is incorrect - your paran is in the wrong place and you're
missing
a comma:

You have
=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

You should have
=VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\gcodenewsetupcopy.xlsSheet1'!C4:H81,3)

BTW, you may want to add the final range argument to be "false" to
avoid the
lookup bringing in the "closest match" to the requested data.
=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3, false)

Hope this helps.
--
ERR229

"Boethius1" wrote:

Bob Phillips Wrote:
Open workbook B.
Goto workbook A.
In your cell, type = then Ctrl-F6 to get to workbook, select the

cell,
then
Enter.

Workbook A will update the path when workbook B is closed.

...................:)

Wow that was a quick reply, thanks it works great BUT!

with that method I am still doing the search, I want an automatic
method. I have typed the following equation but it is not working,

any
ideas why path is wrong?

=VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New

Code
Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

With this equation I am trying to look up number from C4 within

the
range of C4 to H41 from the file shown in path so that it will

pull
through the text from column 3.

--
Boethius1