David McRitchie

It sure seems like a confusing situation since a workbook
name is included in square brackets. Some people don't
have file extensions visible, I'd certainly avoid doing it.
Similar to naming a worksheet that looks like a cellname,
or trying to set a defined name to something that looks like
a cellname something to keep clear of.

Thanks for the warning:
It sure seems like Excel 2003 is an experiment, and not
for serious use.
---
HTH,

"Rich" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure if MS programmers should be blamed for this problem or VBA
developers . . .

In any case, a VBA programmer developed a program in Excel. It, of course,
uses names of Worksheet tabs. Unfortunately, some of the worksheet tab names
have square brackets in them -- "[" and "]". (i.e., "Worksheet[1]")

Also, unfortunately, our company is upgrading most PC's to Office 2003. It
turns out that Excel 2003 doesn't like square brackets in worksheet names.
When you open a worksheet with square brackets in the tab name with 2003,
Excel gives you a warning, then proceeds to open the worksheet (without
apparently modifying the worksheet names).

However, when the worksheet is saved, it converts brackets to parens -- "("
and ")".

This e-mail boils down to two questions:
(1) Is there a way to prevent Excel 2003 from turning brackets to parens in
worksheet tabs, and
(2) if not, is the only fix doing a search and replace in the VBA code?

Thanks for any information . . .

Rich

P.S. From this problem, I learned to consider the use of indexing when
referring to Worksheets within a VBA program.