Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Default whats wrong with my sorting?

Hi Trisha,
You might find some help and solutions with sorting problems in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

Excel more or less follows the ASCII collating sequence (number order of
characters) which places digits before the alpha characters, but Excel
also sorts all cells that the sort considers as numbers before the
cells that the sort considers as text.

When sorting you would generally be better off selecting all cells
on the sheet before invoking the sort -- the fact that Excel chooses
the current region (Ctrl+*) is a common problem that results in loss
of a useable worksheet -- hopefully you make that mistake only once
if you have to discover it yourself. The exceptions would be when
you want to sort only within a limited area and not carry other cells
in a row or column with a cell being moved when sorting.
---
HTH,

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in message ...
Is it possible that you are sorting both text and numbers?

"Trisha" wrote in message
I am new to excel and I am trying to get numbers to sort ascending to
descending but there is stil #'s at the top that did not sort. Can anyone
please help me???