Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Startup prompt - Update links

If you want more control:
Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=1
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then your users can open the dummy workbook and the links will be refreshed.
(read about that UpdateLinks argument in VBA's help.)

======
You could even give the real workbook a password to open, but don't share it
with the users. Put the password in that macro in the dummy workbook and the
users will be forced to go through your open routine.

"Horatio J. Bilge" wrote:

This is for a workbook that I will be sharing with others. I want to make
sure that everyone's copy automatically updates the links, but I would like
to minimize the number of clicks to open the file.

Currently, they will have to click to enable macros, and then click to
update the links. Some users may be worried by the wording of the update
dialog box ("... links can be used to access and share confidential
information without your permission..."), and won't update the links.

If users have unchecked the box that you mentioned (Tools|options|edit tab),
it's no problem. But for those that have that box checked, is there a way to
skip the dialog box, and still update the links?

Thanks,
Horatio

Can I force the
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you tell excel that you want to be asked before updating links, then
excel
will respect that setting:

Tools|options|edit tab
Uncheck "Ask to update automatic links"

This is a user-by-user setting--not a workbook setting.

"Horatio J. Bilge" wrote:

I am trying to remove the startup prompt that asks if I want to update
links
to external workbooks (I want the links to update automatically for this
workbook).

I clicked on Edit - Links...
I clicked "Startup Prompt..."
I selected "Don't display the alert and update links"
I clicked OK, and closed the dialog box.

When I try reopening the workbook, the prompt still comes up.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson