Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mikelee101

Default Grand Average in Pivot Table?

Peo,
That will change the function used to calculate the data within the table.
I want that to be a sum, but I want the "Grand Total" column to be an
average.
Right now, I have Month as the row field, Year as the column field, and Sum
of Milage as the Data Field. So it looks sort of like this:

2003 2004 2005 Grand Total
Jan 500 400 500 1400
Feb 400 300 500 1200
Grand Total 900 700 1000 2600

I want to continue to use the Sum function for calculating the data in the
table, but instead of summing rows and columns, I want to average the rows
and columns, so it would look like this:

2003 2004 2005 Grand Avg
Jan 500 400 500 466.67
Feb 400 300 500 400
Grand Avg 450 350 500 433.33

That way, the actual rows and columns don't change, but the summary values
change.

I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks again.

Mike

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

When you drag the number header into the data field it defaults to sum,
double click it and select average instead or if you already have sum in
your pivot, right click anywhere in the number column (Total column) and
select field settings, there you can also change to average

Peo Sjoblom

"mikelee101" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm pretty much a Pivot Table idiot, so I might be overlooking something
horribly obvious, but I'm trying to have a "Grand Average" column and row

in
a Pivot Table instead of a "Grand Total." I see the Grand Total

checkboxes
in the Options dialog box, but I've yet to stumble upon a way to specify a
function other than Sum.

Is this possible? If so, can someone let me know how?

Excel2000.

If I didn't explain that clearly enough, let me know and I can give an
example. Thanks for the help.

Mike