Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default Converting Dates to 8 digits

I think I'd add an extra column:

With the data in column A and my extra column B:

=len(a1)
and drag down.

Then I'd sort by this column.

Now I could use data|text to columns for each group of non-ambiguous entries.
(4 digits or 6 digits only???)

Since excel is gonna guess 2023 instead of 1923, you may want to convert the
year using another column:

=date(year(c1)-if(Year(c1)2006,100,0),month(c1),day(c1))

But I think you're gonna get stuck fixing lots manually.

jermsalerms wrote:

Didn't catch that scenario!

The problem is that I am uploading the spreadsheet as a .csv to a
program that fills in the Date of Birth field and it will only
recognize 8 digit format.

Also it is not something that can be done by hand because I get a list
of 4000+ once a month.

Any suggestions for accuracy on a majority of them

--
jermsalerms
jermsalerms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30167

--