Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Forrest

Default Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

Ok, I have produced a spreadsheet that calculates cuts for wood strips called
"camber" for beam deflection during bridge construction. Camber strips are
placed along the length of a beam and start at 5/8" at each end and can go as
high as 6" in the center in a parbolic arc. Beam spans may be up to 90 feet
long, but the individual pieces of wood can only be 10' long maximum and are
cut in a straight line, so the intermediate cut heights are interpolated.
The camber will be made of either 4 individual wood segments, 6 segments, 8
segments or 10 segments, depending on the span length.

column headings read as such (seperated by colon:)
Group:HLA:cut1:cut2:cut3:cut4:cut5:cut6:cut7:cut8: cut9:cut10:cut11

Data in the columns might read
1:avg:5/8:3/4:1:3/4:5/8:0:0:0:0:0:0
or possibly
1:avg:5/8:7/8:1:1-1/2:2:1-1/2:1:7/8:5/8:0:0

Don't worry about the group and HLA headings. However, the chart must show
cuts 1-5 or cuts 1-7 or cuts 1-9 or cuts 1-11 and 4 charts cannot be shown
simultaneously. The data cells will be filled based on the length of the
span. the x axis will be plotted as the length of the pieces. I was able to
accomplish this previously by overlaying 4 normal charts on top of each other
but that has some problems. If I can use the pivot chart to switch between
these groups of data it would be much cleaner.
"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

Can you give an example of what you're trying to do, and the data you
want to group?

Forrest wrote:
The tip did not help however, since you wrote the book, literally, let me
explain what I need to do. I need to produce a series of charts that pivot
between 5,7,9 and 11 columns of data, so the number of x axis values will
change and the chart has to expand or shrink to fit the data. It cannot show
blank values. I can accomplish this by turning off or on the data values,
but they need to be pivoted by group not by indivudual column. Please help.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

If the field in the source data contains blank cells, or cells with
text, you won't be able to group the data. There are some suggestions
here for fixing the problem:

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

Forrest wrote:

I need to group the data in a pivot table, why will it not allow me to?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List