Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default Utility to "clean up" or "defrag" large Excel file

Sabrina

Generally file size is increased due to Excel thinking the used range on sheets
is much larger than what it really is.

This is caused by adding rows and columns then clearing them. Excel still
retains these cells as "used".

See Debra Dalgleish's site for methods of resetting the used range on sheets.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Also if you have a lot of VBA code in modules you can clean them up using Rob
Bovey's codecleaner add-in

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:19:02 -0800, "Sabrina"
wrote:

Is there a tool/utility that I can run on a very large Excel file to
essentially "clean up" the file? This file has existed for a while - lots of
things added and deleted....I is there such a utility?

Thanks!