Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Forrest

Default Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

The tip did not help however, since you wrote the book, literally, let me
explain what I need to do. I need to produce a series of charts that pivot
between 5,7,9 and 11 columns of data, so the number of x axis values will
change and the chart has to expand or shrink to fit the data. It cannot show
blank values. I can accomplish this by turning off or on the data values,
but they need to be pivoted by group not by indivudual column. Please help.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

If the field in the source data contains blank cells, or cells with
text, you won't be able to group the data. There are some suggestions
here for fixing the problem:

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

Forrest wrote:
I need to group the data in a pivot table, why will it not allow me to?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List