Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Default Date Range Question

Hi

I would use a helper column to sort by. In a spare column enter
=--IF(LEN(A1)<11,A1,LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1))
Copy down for the range of data involved.
Mark your block of data including the helper column created, and sort by
the helper column.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"elfmajesty" wrote in message
Hello.

We have a spreadsheet where the data in column A are dates. Some of
the
entries, however, have been put in as date ranges in one cell (i.e.,
01/01/06
- 01/11/06). We need to be able to still sort the list by date. Can
cells
that have a date range entered still be formatted to read as a date so
the
sorting includes them?

This is an example of what we have:
12/04/05
12/06/05
01/01/06 - 01/11/06
12/12/05
01/12/06
01/01/05

This is what we need to sort to without splitting the column:
01/01/05
12/04/05
12/06/05
12/12/05
01/01/06 - 01/11/06
01/12/06

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.