Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JC

Default Excel IP addresses

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:03:02 -0800, "RefriedNoodle"
wrote:

As a MCSE and system administrator, I often use Excel to make lists of
networks and IP-addresses. However, Excel doesn't support IP addresses as
data.

When I enter an IP address with each octet containing 3 digits, Excel
interprets it as a number (because in Europe, we use the dot to separate
numbers, not the comma). When I convert the field to text using the cell
properties, I get something like 1.92168E+11. When I delete this and enter
the address in a text cell, I get a little green corner, which tells me that
I entered a number in a text field.

Wouldn't it be great if I could just select "IP Address" as a data type in
the cell properties? Perhaps it could even align the 4 octets, so that octets
of 1, 2 or 3 digits appear nicely in columns? Or use diffenent notations for
addresses, like slashed subnet notation (192.168.1.0/24)?

I'm sure it would make Excel a better product for network administrators.

Thanks for your time.

Have you tried formatting the cells as General?

I have a spreadsheet that I use to check the firewall log and that contains
thousands of IP addresses. They are all formatted as General and don't have
the small green corner flag that you mentioned.
--

Cheers . . . JC