Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kteicher

Default Formatting a .txt file / fixed width

Hello:

I have a text file that I need to edit. The fields in the text file
are all fixed length (not tabbed). For example:

tzwaaaaaa lcust 000001waaaaaa lcust 7903
waaaaaa lcust 0078442040592

I would like to import a table of records like the one above in Excel
and be able to add additional rows. The paramaters being:

1) where 000001 is, I will have to increment each row by one.
2) where 0078442040592 is will be a totally different number, but with
the same exact # of digits.

When I save this "modified" file the field lengths must be exactly the
same as the original. I imported and created columns for ONLY the
sections that will not be exactly the same. However, when I saved the
file back out as text the spacing was not exact. (Spaces missing,
etc.)

I have tried a few things and have gotten close, but not exact. Any
help would be appreciated.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how to approach this, I am pretty
unsophisticated with Excel!

Thanks,

Keith

--