Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lpj

Default multiple ranges on Vlookup

Thanks for the reply! The reason I can't put it all in the same range is bc
this is an existing worksheet (which can't be modified) and there are some
columns of data in btwn that shouldn't be referrenced - they could create
duplicates or give invalid results back.

"Kassie" wrote:

Hi lpj

Not quite clear what you want to achieve here?

Why not have everything in the same range?

Am I correct in guessing that, if you do not find a matching record in the
primary range, you then want to do a lookup in the secondary range? If so,
you will have to use an If(OR( statement, to first look at the primary range,
and then, if you do not find anything there, do a VLOOKUP in the secondary
range. You will therefore have to test the primary range for an error
condition, and if the error condition exists, then look at the secondary
range, else look at the primary range. Again, why not put the whole lot in
one range?

--
ve_2nd_at. Stilfontein, Northwest, South Africa

"lpj" wrote:

I currently have my Vlookup stmnt as this:

=IF(E2="","",VLOOKUP(E2,'Code Descrip'!T$3:U$27,2,FALSE))

'Code Decrip' is the name of the worksheet
I need to add another range X$3:Y48
What is the proper syntax - I wasnt able to get it right after searching
online for it.
Thanks so much.