Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Default #1 Problem

Say your rankings starting in B1, and continuing down the column, try this
in C1, and copy down as needed:

=CHOOSE(B1,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6)

Then you can simply total the column:

=Sum(C:C)
--
HTH,

RD

"hos" wrote in message

I apologize if this winds up being stupid-simple, but I have not used
Excel in quite some time and could not find an answer in tutorials or
on the web...

Is there a way to put a number in a cell, but have Excel calculate it
as a different quantity?

We are tabulating rankings of product: People chose their ten favorite
items and then were told them to rank them 1(highest)-10 (lowest).
We're assigning quantities to their rankings: #1=15, #2=14, etc. We
want to have their original rankings visible, but have the spreadsheet
calculate based on the quantities. Is there a way to enter a 1 and
have it calculate it as 15?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer,

hs

--