Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob

Default Lookup word and value

Hi,

I have a school project that I'd like to produce a Excel formula for. We
have two columns, the first has letters and the second has numbers eg. cell
A1 = A, cell B1 = 1, cell A2 = B and cell B2 = 2 and so on to Z = 26.

I have a simple look up formula that sums the value of numbers assigned to
each letter entered into several cells but I'd like to formula (thing an
array) whereby I type a word into a single cell and in another cell the
value is shown? The letters entered could contain spaces eg a first name
and surname and I guess shouldn't be longer than 26 characters.

Any points most welcome, Rob