Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dan B

Default Need help with some data manipulation - to Biff

And another thing related to last part of your first post....each group does
not have the same number of rows. Some have 4 rows some have 8. And yes,
there is a blank row between each group.

"Dan B" wrote in message
Thanks....I'm amazed! I wish I had that kind of Excel knowledge.
I did forget to mention 1 thing though....I need to split the name into 2
colums...First Name and Last Name. Would that be done with a seperate
formula afterwords, and if so, what would that be?

Thank you so much!

Hi!

Maybe this will get you started in the right direction:

The sample you posted is in the range of Sheet1 A1:A7.

Enter this formula in B1 and copy down to B7:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND(":",A1)),A1,MID(A1,FIND(":",A1)+2 ,255))

B1:B7 will now look like this:

Joe's Bar and Grill
1000 Somewhere Dr
City ST Zip
Joe Schmoe
800-000-000
800-000-000
WhoKnows

Then you can get rid of the formulas by converting those to constants.

Now, how you proceed depends on whether each group has *exactly* the same
number of rows of info. Are there empty rows between each group?

You could use a formula like this on Sheet2 that will transpose the data
from Sheet1:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*7+COLUMNS($A:A))

Copied across then down.

That will give you the result you're looking for:

Joe's..... 1000 S... Joe 800-... 800-. Whoknows

Biff

"Dan B" wrote in message

I have a Word Document (Office 2003) with lots of names and addresses
that
I need in Excel so I can add them to another list to do a data import.

The data in Word is like this:

Joe's Bar and Grill
1000 Somewhere Dr
City ST Zip
Contact: Joe Schmoe
Phone: 800-000-000
Fax: 800-000-000
County: WhoKnows

If I copy and paste that into Excel, of, it puts it in the same column,
each line on a row.

This is how I need it in Excel (in Columns):

Company Address Contact Phone Fax County
Joe's..... 1000 S... Joe 800-... 800-. Whoknows

I need to get it into columns, but I don't want the words Contact, Phone,
Fax etc to show up next to all the names, phone numbers etc. I hope that
makes sense.

So...how do I do it?

Thanks,

Dan