Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve Barnett

Default Unique identifier

I fully agree, it should be scrapped and rewritten as a proper database app,
which is what it always should have been. Unfortunately, it started life as
a couple of hundred rows and just grew. As with all such systems, no one
really noticed until it started getting painful to add new entries and it
was too late by then, as they were committed.

My latest solution required named ranges on every row - I'm just not sure
yet whether I can take a cell address and find the named range that contains
it.

Steve

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Hi

Then it's past time to redesign it!

P.e. when there are tables, which are altered occasionally only, and which
at same time contain a lot of formulas, then you can split them into
separate workbook. In working workbook, you keep replicas of them, which
are generated through ODBC queries, and are refreshed on open - as result
those replicas contain only values, what may improve perfomance a lot.

"Steve Barnett" wrote in message
They won't let me add new sheets or columns. To be fair to them, this

You need to add a single sheet with 4 columns of formulas. On your working
sheet, you have the ID column, or you have to add ti anyway.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )