Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
paul

Default Unique identifier

in a cell to the right somewhere in row 1 type =If(A1="","",row(a1)),and copy
down,as long as a has something in it you will get the row number,this will
work for al data as long as you dont insert rows.if you did insert a row say
between 12 and 13 then the new row would be blank 12 would remain 12 and 13
would become 14,you could copy the formula down each row would be indentified
but evrything below the inserted would be different than before...does that
help?
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Steve Barnett" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet (Excel 2000) that contains around 10,000 rows. I now
need to be able to identify each row via a unique identifier, but am having
trouble working out what to do when new rows are added or when existing rows
are copied and paste.

New rows and copied rows should get new unique identifiers, but I can see no
way of doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions? There is nothing unique
about the data that I can hang on to and the "SheetChanged" event does not
fire for inserted rows in Excel 2000.

This spreadsheet is owned by one of our clients, so I can't add new
worksheets or columns to the existing workbook - I can just add cell
comments (unless you have a better suggestion).

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Steve