Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Format significant digits

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:00:04 -0800, "Sloth"
wrote:

Is there a way to apply a custom format that will only display a certain
number of significant digits?

For instance for 3 significant digits
Input Values-Display As
0.12345-0.123 or .123
1.2345-1.23
12.345-12.3
123.45-123
1234.5-1230 or 1234

I think I could make a formula that could do this, but I would rather keep
the precision. I just want to adjust the displayed precision.

I don't believe it is possible when you have more than the requisite number of
significant digits to the left of the decimal. Perhaps someone else knows how,
but I don't believe that, through formatting, you can display 1234.5 as either
1230 or 1234.

Why not use your formula approach but have the actual data, with it's retained
precision, in another (possibly even a hidden) cell?

--ron