Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default how to change a date format

It doesn't matter how you format the cells, you can't sort on display
(formatting does not change the underlying values and excel date are days
since Jan 0 1900). Assume 1/4/2005 is in cell A1, in a for instance B1 put

=MONTH(A1)

enter it, now select B1 again and move the cursor to the lower right corener
of B1, then either double click to copy down the formula or drag down with
the mouse, then select both A and B columns and sort by B ascending

Peo Sjoblom

"lcardwell" wrote in message
I am not quite sure I understand. In my excel spreadsheet each date is
formatted "1/4/2005" and I want the format to look like "01/04" so that I

can
sort the column. I do not understand how to use the formula below. Can

you
write it step by step?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can't use formatting, you need to use a help column

=MONTH(A1)

will return the month's number, assume first date is in A1, copy down as
long as needed then select both columns and sort by the help column

Peo Sjoblom

"lcardwell" wrote in message
I would like to sort dates in a spreadsheet by month and day - not

year.
How
can I change the format to avoid the year being used while sorting?