Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lcardwell

Default how to change a date format

I am not quite sure I understand. In my excel spreadsheet each date is
formatted "1/4/2005" and I want the format to look like "01/04" so that I can
sort the column. I do not understand how to use the formula below. Can you
write it step by step?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

You can't use formatting, you need to use a help column

=MONTH(A1)

will return the month's number, assume first date is in A1, copy down as
long as needed then select both columns and sort by the help column

Peo Sjoblom

"lcardwell" wrote in message
I would like to sort dates in a spreadsheet by month and day - not year.

How
can I change the format to avoid the year being used while sorting?