Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Default Return alternate value if VLookup can't find match

Hi Sue JB,

I think the information you gave us is not complete. If the 4th argument of
the VLOOKUP is FALSE and the item can not be found in the table, a #NA is
returned, not a zero.
Is your formula part of a more complex formula in which you intercept the
#NA?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"SueJB" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm finding my way round the intricacies of VLookup and making some
progress, but am stumped by a small problem.

I have a working VLookup in a worksheet called Staff

=VLOOKUP(A3,'Report data'!$A$1:$P$9999,4,FALSE)

which returns a name from the Report Data sheet if it's present, and a 0
if
not. However, rather than the zero I would like it to return the value of
column 2 in the Staff (active) worksheet.

Can this be done with a nested function or does it need VBA?

All comments gratefully received!

Sue JB