Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveC

Default Output in Column A based on Input in Column B

Hi, thanks very much.

That solution is very close to what I am looking for.

The Median should not be for all cells in Column B, but for a certain set of
numbers. Is there a way the Median could "reset" itself.

For clarity:
I have about 2000 rows.
Cells in Column B Count the number of identical items in Column C.
When the values in Column C changes, Cells in Column B start counting over
again.
For example, if I have 50 Apples in Column C, cells in Column B in show in
descending order "1, 2, 3, 4".
Once the values in Column C changes to Oranges, Cells in Column B start
counting over again "1,2,3,4"

Is there a way so that the formula recognizes the series of numbers of
1,2,3,...50 as a set of numbers and "resets" so that for for
"...50,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1..." it recognizes the Median for
1-50, 1-4, 1-6,1-7, etc?). These series of numbers are in Column B,
descending, e.g.:

49
50
1
2
3
4
5
6
1
2
3
4
1
2
etc...

Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

SteveC

"John Michl" wrote:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. This formual will print
a blank for any non-number value in column B. It will print "No" for
any number that is less than the median or halfway point in the
distribution.

=IF(ISNUMBER(B2),IF(B2<MEDIAN($B$2:$B$10),"No","Ye s"),"")

- John
www.JohnMichl.com