Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Default Lookup Two Columns

Hi

With data in A2:F9, I set up the Employee required in H2, Pay Period in
I2 then in cell J2 enter this array formula
(Commit with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, and EXcel will enter the { } curly
braces. Do not type them yourself. Alos use Ctrl+ShifT+Enter if you
amend the formula)

{=INDEX($A$2:$F$9,MATCH($H2&$I2,$A$2:$A$9&$B$2:$B$ 9),COLUMN()-7)}
Copy across though cells K2:M2 to extract the suceeding columns of data
from the main table.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

macshimi wrote:
I have data arranged with the first two Columns showing Employee ID
and Pay Date; the other columns show different deductions.

I need to lookup the Employee ID and then the Pay Date, once those
two are established, to look across the row to the required deduction:

Emp ID Pay Pension Union Tax Health
1 Sep-05 5 0.2 9 2
1 Oct-05 6 0.3 6 5
1 Nov-05 7 0.2 5 4
1 Dec-05 8 0.2 8 3
2 Sep-05 9 0.3 7 11
2 Oct-05 6 0.2 3 0.3
2 Nov-05 5 0.2 9 6
2 Dec-05 8 0.3 4 5

If it is not possible in this layout (the data was extracted from a
payroll program) how do I re-arrange the data to make it accessable?

thanks in adavnce.

Charles