Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robert

Default Formula Help

Oh 1 other the thing, this initial query icon is different than the other
query icons. This might help.

Robert

"Duke Carey" wrote:

Robert -

You can change a query type in Access to a Create Table query. What you
have to watch for is that, once you've created the table, the next time you
run the query it will delete the table and re-create it. If you want to
retain the original data, change the query - the second time you run it - to
an Append query.

Just open the query in design mode and use the Query menu option to change
the type

As far as the way the query worked, if you copy everything just as I gave it
to you, including the UNION ALL part, putting it all in the SQL design
window, you will get the extra field with INPUT at the end of the Input
records.

"Robert" wrote:

Ok, I got it to work. It appears that I selected all in the query, I toggled
the frequency field off and it created the right output. The only thing
missing is the appending of the word input into the description field at the
end of the existing text. Then all that is left is to create the new table
and then another query to merge the tables. Then I could export the combined
table to a csv file. This is then imported into another program.

Is the creation of the new table with the ouput of the query possible? If it
is, I can then create another query to export the first table excluding the
input field, then another quuery to merge them? Is all or any of this
possible?

"Duke Carey" wrote:

Robert -

I'd pull the data into Access instead, allowing Access to create an index
field. Let's say the table that Access creates is called RF (for radio
frequencies)

Then use a query like this:

SELECT Idx, Frequency, License, Type, Tone, Description, Mode, Null as Source
FROM RF
union all
SELECT Idx, INPUT as Frequency, License, Type, Tone, Description, Mode,
"Input" as Source
FROM RF
Where Input is Not NULL
order by Idx

Enter this query in Access by creating a new query in SQL mode

Frequency Input License Type Tone Description Mode

"Robert" wrote:

Yes it is imported from a website. I would like to run the macro after the
import is complete, it can be run manually, ideally it would do the output
into another worksheet keeping the data intact on the original sheet.

Thanks

Robert

"Duke Carey" wrote:

A formula cannot insert new lines or do any of things you want, except return
a TRUE/FALSE on the comparison of values. You really need a macro. The
queston, though, is what kind of macro?

Do you import this data from some other application, and you'd like the
results you describe to occur after the import is complete? If so, you want
to run a routine manually after the import is complete.

Or, does a user actually use Excel to key the Input values into the cells
you've described? If this is the case, do you want something to happen after
the users completes the input on a line, or when the user indicates that
he/she is finished with the input process? If the former, then you would use
an Excel event macro, called when a cell is changed. If the latter, you're
back to running a routine manually when the user says to.

Post back with some more details, please!