Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cxlough41

Default create self-generating numbers with letters and numbers

Thanks for the clarification i think this will add better functionality...
could you please review my newer posts to see if you can help with the date
question...

or... i need to add a current date to a cell (can be hidden or not) but the
date can not be volitile. I understand that using =(today) will give date
but not sure how to prevent the date cell from updateing on each opening of
the file.

i could just enter it manualy but i'm looking for optimized automation for
time use purposes.

thank you so much for your help.

"pinmaster" wrote:

ROW(1:1) is not dependent on the current row, you can put it anywhere
and it will return a 1, as oppose to ROW()-11 which has to be put
somewhere in row 12 to return a 1. You could also go with ROW(A1) or
any cell address in row 1.

Regards
JG

cxlough41 Wrote:
I think i know what this small change does but I am not absolutely
sure.
Could you send a reply to verify what this change will do.

Thank you so much!

"pinmaster" wrote:

Instead of
TEXT(ROW()-11,"0000")
you could change it to
TEXT(ROW(1:1),"0000")
that way no matter where you start your formula it will always return

1 in the first cell.

Regards
JG

--