Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cxlough41

Default create self-generating numbers with letters and numbers

this looks like it will do. with this formula will the -0000 always increase
by 1... that is what i wanted it to do so i know which job number the job
was. ie:0001 is the first job of the business - 0023 is the 23rd job -
0124...so on and so on.

I take it you said you counldn't answer rest of question ie: "I don't want
to push my luck but..... it would be really nice if this number
could be sent to the invoice page to create the same number but with an I
just be4 the dash.

and if i have not figured by then how to do the same for the estimate page
with an E instead of an I ...... what the heck can you show that too???"

if so this is fine... i am glad i can do this much...lol

Tanks so much!

"Kleev" wrote:

I can't help you with the rest of your question, but a formula to create the
text you asked for, along with some test data I used is:
Twirk Will 1/6/2005 TWWI010605-0001
Twirk Will 1/6/2005 TWWI010605-0002
Kirk James 7-Jan KIJA010705-0003
White Vanna 3/1/2005 WHVA030105-0004
Of the Apes Tarzan 12/30/2005 OFTA123005-0005

UPPER(LEFT(A12,2))&UPPER(LEFT(B12,2))&TEXT(MONTH(C 12),"00")&TEXT(DAY(C12),"00")&RIGHT(YEAR(C12),2)&"-"&TEXT(ROW()-11,"0000")

This is using US date style. I could not tell from your sample what date
style you are using (as 1/6 could be January 6 or June 1.)

The formula started on row 12 (as should be obvious) which is why I
subtracted 11 from row() (to begin on 1.) Modify to suit your needs.

"cxlough41" wrote:

i am trying to create a workbook which the first page is the customer
information page. this is done... now i need to use the first two letters
from each cell containing the first and last names... now i need to add the
current date in ddmmyy format NO PUNCTUATION...followed by a dash and 0000
which will increase by 1 each time the name cells are filled in. i would
also like to add auto "save as" with this generated number as the name of the
work book. every customer gets a new work book for each job ( 1 cust / 10
jobs = 10 work books )

this is what i am looking for;

customer name is Will I. Twirk
he calls for service on 01/06/05
after confirming his interest we create a new work book for the new customer
I open the work book template
I add customers last name
I add cust first name
when i press tab next... i want the number to generate and show up as
TWWI010605-0001

can this happen??? HELLLPPPP!!!!!

I don't want to push my luck but..... it would be really nice if this number
could be sent to the invoice page to create the same number but with an I
just be4 the dash.

and if i have not figured by then how to do the same for the estimate page
with an E instead of an I ...... what the heck can you show that too???
pleeeeease heeeeellllp.

i really need to be able to track by name so this seems like it would really
suit my needs