Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

Default Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

On the Windows side, versions of XL before 2003 had a variety of
problems with LINEST (not that 2003 is guaranteed to be error proof
{grin}). Maybe, XL2004 hasn't caught up with XL2003? Of course, it is
possible you are doing something wrong though I cannot of think of
what.

To get the results of a chart's trendline result into a Excel worksheet
see my enhancements of Dave Braden's code at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rting/msg/0eda
30f29434786d?hl=en&

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

I tried to re-create the example at;

http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...Polynomial.htm

Here is the equation I used (using the 'array enter' crtl-shft-rtrn);

=LINEST(B2:B5,A2:A5^{1,2,3},TRUE,TRUE)

and here is the matrix result;

x3 x2 x b
2.166666667 2 148.8333333 -152.3333333
0 0 0 0
1 0 N/A N/A
0 0 N/A N/A
14105 0 N/A N/A

Excel's automatic trendline seems to work fine, correctly identifying
the equation as y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 6x + 8

I can't figure out why it won't work correctly. Am I missing something
simple? Do I need to change a preference setting I don't know about?

Thanks
Kevin

--
KevinW