Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Default I can not remove the read only from a file on a cd why

Hi Jeff,
Additional information about removing the Read only flag set when
restoring files that were backed up to a CD-R by dragging from
File Explorer or similar programs.
I use DLA and use XCOPY or zip the files and then copy to the CD-R
avoiding the problem. There is no point to the flag being set, it does
not prevent you from writing an updated version of the file. You lose the
space on a CD-R when rewriting a file but that is not a big deal.-- the
capacity is more of a problem. See ...
.http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

When copying to removable devices like CD, or a thumbdrive,
be sure to close the file with eject for the CD or taking the thumbdrive
offline; otherwise, if system crashes, or is taken down quikckly you
may not have access to what you have written.
---
HTH,

"Jeff Smith Read only files" <Jeff Smith "Read only wrote in message
Can someone help me. When I store a file on a cd and then retrieve it, I can
not edit it, it comes back as read only. When I go to the file and try to
change the attribue within the properties and remove the read only access it
is denied. If I save on the hard drive I can make what ever changes I want.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Smith
(212) 929-8024