Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rumpa Biswas

Default Excel should merge cells without removing content of any cell

Hi Ken,
Thank for yor reply. But when cells are merged in MS Word, it creates a
merged cell with all texts of different cells separated by a line-break.
But in excel only content of top-left cel remains within merged cells.
It is true that sorting and certain other operations are not possible for
merged cells. But merging of cells can be used fro different purpose.
At times I need content of all cells together for some report etc. Then I
always copy into MS word, merge cells there, then use the content.
I was wondering if there is any way in Excel.

Rumpa Biswas

"Ken Johnson" wrote:

Hi Rumpa,
When Word merges table cells it looks to me like it just gets rid of
the border separating the cells.
This same effect can be achieved in Excel by formatting the borders.
Merging of cells in Excel hides the cell values in all but the first
(top or left) cell, their contents are not removed.
Excel cell merging is not good practice, it causes all sorts of
problems when processing data in them.

Ken Johnson