Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Text to Columns Question

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 04:20:18 GMT, rm the XX's (Dennis)
wrote:

Im missing something. If I use the wizard the text text gets sliced up because
it some rows line up with other rows. I need to get bigger spacing so I can
put the divider lines in.

In article , Ron Rosenfeld

Since you have the starting point of each field, it should be trivial to use
the built-in text functions to parse it out.

Or you could use the Data/Text-to-Columns wizard and use a fixed width for each
field -- i.e. 79 characters for field 1 and so forth since each field, from
your description, will always start at a fixed point.

For formulas:

Field1: =trim(left(record,60))
Field2: =trim(mid(record,80,11))
Field3: =trim(mid(record,100,6))

and so forth.

--ron

Are you using a non-proportional font? Something like Courier or Courier New?

If the data is as you have described it, things should line up.

You can still use the formulas instead.

If the data is not how you described it, you are going to have to describe how
you can discern the dividing point between each field.

--ron