Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dennis

Default Text to Columns Question

Field 1 is 24-60 characters long. I would like field 2 to start 80 characters
from position 1 of field 1
Field 2 is 4- 11 characters long I would like field 3 to start 20 characters
from position 1 of field 2
Field 3 is 1-6 characters long I would like field 4 to start 20 characters
from position 1 of field 3
Field 4 is 1-6 characters long I would like field 5 to start 20 characters
from position 1 of field 4
Field 5 is 8 characters long I would like field 6 to start 20 characters from
position 1 of field 5
Field 6 is 8 characters long

Thanks for the help Ron, I hope this is the info needed.

Dennis
==============

In article , Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:49:16 GMT, rm the XX's (Dennis)
wrote:

I have 6 fields of data all in column A but each row the data is spaced out
differently, not even close. The fields themselves do not have any spaces but
obviously there various spacing beteen the fields. The first feild is flush
left but all the others are all over the map. Is there a way I can prepare the

data so it's sumwhat lined lined up enough to get a accurate Text to Columns
without hacking off some text in some rows? It's 17k+ rows.

TIA Dennis

If you construct a rule (or set of rules) to define where one field ends and
the next begins, I'm sure we could construct a macro or formula solution to
split each record into columns.

--ron