Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

Default Looking up a text string

try using match with wildcard to find the row and then use in an index
function.

=INDEX(B15:C22,MATCH("*c*",B15:B22,0),2)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"clubin" wrote in message
I have an issue where I am trying to lookup certain text strings and return
values corresponding to the strings from a separate worksheet. However,
the
strings do not match exactly on the worksheets. For example on the sheet
with the values to lookup it will list

"AAAA-BBBB"

but on the data worksheet it will have something like

"ZZAAAA-BBBB-YY

The text string is there, but using vlookup will not work as they do not
match exactly. In addition the lookup function doesn't seem to work as
there
may be other strings in the data sheet such as

"AA-BB"

which is returned from the lookup function. Is there a way to find the
exact string within other strings as part of the array on the data sheet,
or
is this not possible?

Please help.

Thank you,