Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Cahoon

Default How to fix a formula, so when a row is inserted it doesn't cha

I am doing something similar except I am inserting cells into a row of data.
But then I am sorting these rows based on the information that comes out of
the INDIRECT formula. It works fine using this method until I sort it. How
do I make the row reference relative but the column absolute? Again, I need
to use the INDIRECT funtion because I am inserting cells.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Matjaz,

YOu're right, the absolute references are for copies only. They don't
prevent cell references from changing when cells are moved. Use

INDIRECT("A1") + INDIRECT("A2") ...
or
=SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A3"))

These aren't cell references -- they're text. They won't change when the
cell gets moved.

Earl Kiosterud

"Matjaz" wrote in message
I have a row with data added daily, newest on the top. Then I have a

formula
which calculates some output according to the last three inserted cells

(i.e.
=A1+A2+A3). But everytime I add data (insert a row) formula changes (i.e.

=A2+A3+A4). I tried to surround formula with $ signs (i.e.

=$A$1+$A$2+$A$3)
but it doesnt help (looks like absolute references only apply to copying
formulas).

Is there something else I could try? Maybe something like =%A%1+%A%2+%A%3

or
some other character?