Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rere

Default how do you delete cells when they are connected with a formula

Sorry, Ron. I just re-read your post. Yes, this is where I'm putting it.

"Rere" wrote:

Well, I didn't personally put it there, but yes, that's where it is. I've
just been handed this to update today.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

This formula:
=MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A73,-1,0))+1

should be in Cell A73. Is that where you put it?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Rere" wrote:

Ok Ron, it's now telling me I have too few arguments.????This is the way I
did it: I'm deleting the row where Charlie's name is, so its: A73+1
=MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A73,-1,0))+1

Now, after I put in this info do I hit enter or what?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

I think I understand what you're facing....

It seems like you want to use formulas to create a numerical
sequence(1,2,3...), and you do that by adding 1 to the cell above the formula
cell, right? The problem occurs when you delete the referenced cell's row.
Example:
A10: =+SUM(A9)+1
--iF row 9 is deleted...the formula returns an error.

Here are some alternatives to that approach:

A10: =OFFSET(A10,-1,0)+1
(ALWAYS adds 1 to the value of the cell directly above the formula cell)
or
A10: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A10,-1,0))+1
(Adds 1 to the previous max value above the formula cell...allows for blank
cells in the referenced range)

Am I on the right track here?
Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Rere" wrote:

All I know how to do is enter info into a cell. This is a list of numbered
employees. Usually, I would just seleted the cell and delete, but I get
###error. The formula is =+sum (A73+1) Please help!!!