Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lew

Default lookup and choose wih multiple tables of unequal column leng

JR: I have used data validation and vlookup to get to the point where I am
now. I know need to have the value in F3 dictate which table column "C" will
be shown in H1. From that point I can again use a vlookup to populate I1.
"JR" wrote:

Lew: This will give you a drop down list. Go to "Data", "Validation", then
select "List" from menu on the Settings tab. Make sure the "in cell
dropdown" box is checked. Once you have created this, you can use a VLOOKUP
based on the value in the dropdown list to obtain the other data that is
needed.

"Lew" wrote:

I need some help with the following:

I have the following tables as examples:

Table 1
Column "A" "B" "C" "D"

Repair (With out Replacing) A103 Trans O\H C200
Troubleshoot & Switching A103 Dist O\H C303
Maint. Demand (emergency) A103 Dist U\G C304
Operate A103 Substation Dist C315
Replace in Kind A111 Substation Trans C203
Tree Trim A110 Services O/H C310
Sub Charts A376 Services U/G C311
Inspection A108
Maint. Planned A105

Table 2

Drafting \ Mapping A349 Trans O\H C200
Inspect \ Patrol A356 Dist O\H C303
Install A357 Dist U\G C304
Elect Dist Integrated C305
Line Xfmrs C317
Services O/H C310
Services U/G C311

If E1 = "Repair (With out replacing)" then F1 = "A103". In H1 I want to
show a list of column "C" table 1 (where "Repair with out replacing" came
from) that I can choose from and in I1 the corresponding Account number
should be displayed.. If G1 = "Install" then F1 = "A357". Cell I1 should
then display a list of column C table 2 (where "Install" came from) that I
can choose from and the corresponding account number should be displayed in
J1. The problem is I have 14 seperate tables with different numbers of
entries in columns A & C that are possible sources for cell E1. Any one got
any ideas on how I should go about solving this?