Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JackH1976

Default Wildcard Problem....

I work at an Insurance Agency and am having a problem with an Excel
formula for our application log. Here is the formula that is returning
a zero value to me:

=SUMPRODUCT((B4:B200="Hertvik")*(J4:J200="PL*")*(E 4:E200))

Column B contains our different agencies. In this instance I want all
policies with the "Hertvik" agency. Column J contains policy types
(i.e. PL Auto, PL Home, CL BOP, etc.). I want to sum the numbers in
column E for all of the policies with the Hertvik agency and start
withe the policy type "PL". However, the * wildcard is not working.
If I type in "PL Auto" instead of "PL*" it works fine. Is there a
reason that the wildcard is not working?

Thanks!

--
JackH1976
JackH1976's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29922