Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Becky Hutchinson

Default line of best fit/reading values from graphs

they're not linear or polynomial. some are like exponential but upside down
(yet not logarithmic, dunno what they're called). some are like the shape of
a black body curve if you ever did physics alevel. they're weird shapes that
can't be mapped onto a 'normal' function. what i really need to know is how
to get excel to read x values for a given y value

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

You did not tell if the fit is linear or not
You can use LINEST to fit to linear, polynomial, log etc
See www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips and
www.tushar-mehta.com

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Becky Hutchinson" <Becky wrote in
message ...
i have excel 2003 and am trying to create graphs for an electronics lab
write
up. I have entered information into a table and created scatter diagrams
etc
but i want to put on a line of best fit. The trendline function does not
work
well enough for what i want, and i remember there being an option for a
line
of best fit on an older version of the program. is there a way to do it?
The
reason i am asking is because i want to read off values from my graph,
i.e.
on a voltage vs frequency graph i want to know what the frequency would
theoretically be at 0.707 volts. if i can not create a best fit line, is
there a way to do this??