Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dana DeLouis

Default is 1900 a Leap Year?

An attempt to "justify" this "feature" is listed here...
Excel 2000 incorrectly assumes that the year 1900 is a leap year
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214326/en-us

:)
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Lex_Muga" wrote in message

Why is MSExcel accepting the string `2/29/1900' as a legal date?
In fact it also determines '2/29/1900' as a WEDNESDAY. 1900 is not a leap
year since it is divisible by 100 and not divisible by 400.

January 1, 1900 is marked as Sunday by MSExcel. According to
Perpetual Calendar available on the web, it is a Monday.

The corresponding weekday for each date from Jan 1, 1900 to
Feb. 28, 1900 is not correct. The weekdays from March 1, 1900
onwards are correct.

However, the serial numbers starting from March 1, 1900
are wrong. This is the reason why when I computed for the number
of days from Jan 1, 1900 I always get a result that is higher by 1
from the correct figure.

--
Felix Muga II
Mathematics Department