Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default I can not remove the read only from a file on a cd why

Rob

I agree with most of what you say, especially about not saving to or opening
from a CD or any removable media.

But, you can save directly to a CD without "burning" it.

If you were to use a packet writing application like Nero InCD to fromat the
CD, files would not be read only and individual files could be erased or
written to on the CD just like a big floppy disk.

Not good practice in my opinion.

For Jeff.............

See this google search thread

http://snipurl.com/6llq

Note the link to Alex Nicholl's site.

Also http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:05:22 +1030, "Rob" wrote:

Jeff, as far as I'm aware, it is still not possible to save a file directly
to a CD, as it needs to be "burnt" via burning software . This includes any
changes to the file if you have opened it directly from the CD. It is always
best to copy the file to a HD before doing any work on it....particularly
from floppy disks!

A better option you could use is to save your file to a USB memory stick
which acts like another Hard Drive but can be carried around with you like
the CD. It DOES allow you to save changes, etc., as it really is like having
a portable HD. I find a memory stick a very useful tool for back up
purposes as it's very fast and much easier to use than a CD.

Rob

"Jeff Smith "Read only files"" <Jeff Smith "Read only
wrote in message
Can someone help me. When I store a file on a cd and then retrieve it, I
can
not edit it, it comes back as read only. When I go to the file and try to
change the attribue within the properties and remove the read only access
it
is denied. If I save on the hard drive I can make what ever changes I
want.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Smith
(212) 929-8024