Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Crossreferencing values between 2 spreadsheets

One play to try ..

Sample construct available at:
http://cjoint.com/?mxl3D5r2BE
wolfsburg2_wks.xls

Assuming the reference list (critical list*) is within K1:K100
and the source list is in cols A to H, from row1 down,

Select cols A to H (with A1 active)
Click Format Cond Format
Formula Is:
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$1:$K$100,$A1))*($K$1:$K$100<"" ))=1
Format to taste OK out

Adapt the range in col K to suit
(use the smallest range sufficient to cover the critical list)

*Just paste over the critical list into the same sheet
as the source list (use an empty col to the right, eg: col K above)
--
Rgds
Max

I have attached a couple of example lists. I am trying to identify
common customers through red type or something similar. you will notice
the only customer for this example that does exist on both sheets is not
an exact match(due to the Customer identifier and the actual name
entry(merrill lynch and co inc vs merrill lynch). This is a common
case, and still needs to be recognized as a match.

Also the critical list will be a constant, the customer list will not.
i will have outages with 1 customer up to 700+. i need a way to format
simply every time.

Thanks again for your time.

|Filename: critical list.txt |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4150 |