Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MrShorty

Default Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)

Thanks,

That's an interesting idea, to build the conditions into the
spreadsheet model rather than into the solver model. One thing I
didn't like about your approach for this problem is the "assume
non-negative" option, because it applies to both parameters. A
different data set may require b to be less than 0, but your particular
solver model wouldn't find it. You would have to either add a
bprime=-b, or alter the formulas in column 3. Neither of which is a
bad solution, but I would probably rather have a single constraint
aprime=0 rather than the dual constraint aprime=0 and b=0. Of
course, at that point, there's not a lot of difference between a single
constraint a<=3.049999 and aprime=0. On the other hand, we have to
remember that we are building a Solver model to solve the problem at
hand, and solve future problems when we come to them.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181