Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gilles Desjardins

Default Calculated fields in pivot tables

A calculated item would be something like increase the sales of all dairy
products by 5%
A calculated item would be increase the butter by 5%, the yogurt by 6% and
the milk by 2%.
therefore you have to determine what is what in your database.

Does this make sense to you?

Gilles
"Nigel Drinkwater" wrote in
message ...
I have a pivot table set up reporting monthly margins based on detailed
sales
data, on the back of which I have a pivot chart. I have successfully
inserted a summary budget number (as a calculated field) into the pivot
table
and graph, and it looks fairly simple:

Month Margin Budget
Jan 5 8
Feb 6 8
Etc.

I want to break this down to a product group looking at just margin and
budget, e.g.

A B
Month Margin Budget Margin Budget
Jan 3 4 2 4
Feb 3 4 3 4
Etc.

But I can't get it to work - I know I will need to re-define the budget
numbers, but do I still need a calculated field or should I be using a
calculated item? Neither appears to be doing what I want.

Many thanks,

Nigel