Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FinRazel

Default Sorting Alpha Numeric

your data isn't sorting properly because it is type text, which always sorts
alphabetically left-right (so it won't distinguish between a 1 in the tens
or hundreds place). I have two suggestions:

1. If you don't have much data, re-enter all of it with a zero in the
hundreds place for all numbers below 100 (D07 becomes D007)

2. If you have a lot of data, copy your column into a new column.
Highlight this column. Using Edit-Replace, Replace the "D" with nothing.
Then, Format- Cells - Number - Number. This will change the data in this
column to number format. Sort using this column.
--
Anne Murray

"CS Project Man" wrote:

I have a list of alpha numerics I wish to sort but they are coming up as the
Excel 'default'. I prefer the desired result. Any thoughts? Thanks

Original Sorted Desired
D10 D07 D07
D09 D09 D09
D07 D10 D10