Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Default Excell-How to add the number of cells containing text? = a sum

Notwithstanding Biff's answer, you should have used numbers in the formula

=IF(G95="Beef",1,0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"aruba64taw" wrote in message
For a wedding. I have the different meals in seperate columns. I need to

add
the number of Beef dinners and the number of Chicken dinners. I cannot use

number conveniently for the "Beef" or the "Chicken". I tried
=IF(G95="Beef","1","0") with the conditional number "1" going into a side
work column and then summed that work column. But apparently the "1" in

the
conditional statement is not a 'number' 1. As soon as I substituted a

number
1 for the conditional 1, the sum worked.