Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sort text list alphabetically using a formula

A somewhat simpler method, requiring helper columns. Assume your text
in A:A.

In B1: = IF(LEN(A1)0,COUNTIF(A:A,"<"&A1),"")
gives a lexographical sorting number to each entry

In C1: = IF(LEN(A1),SMALL(B:B,ROW()),"")
Sorts the values.

In D1: = IF(LEN(A1)0,INDEX(A:A,MATCH(C1,B:B,0),1),"")

Fill down past your data. Can continue in this way to remove dupes.

....best, Hash

In article ,
paddyyates
wrote:

Does anyone know of a formula you can use to sort a list of text
alphabetically?

I know the data/sort option but I want something that can pick up new
entries in the original data list without the use having to intervene.

Seems like a straightforward enough idea but I can't find anything.