Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Default Freezing the cell (with Random formula)

Not really....functions return values, but cannot change the actual contents
of a cell. So, a formula won't be changed into a constant by a function.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com" wrote:

Is there a way (by formula) to copy by value only?

On further thought, the cell would still change whenever excel recalculates.
A1 = Y
B1 = Rand()
C1 = =IF(A1="Y",<copy.by.valueB1,"")

Every time excel recalculates, B1 will bet a new number, and C1 will realize
A1 is "Y" then retreive another number...

still same problem.

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
Well, that's what the RAND() function does...right?
So, here's my thought:
Why not put the RAND() function someplace where it will do no harm, then
copy/paste_values the latest random value where you need it?

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Christy" wrote:

Everytime I copy the cell (wth rand() formula) and paste it to another
cell
(use paste special - value - ok), the value of the original cell changes.
How
can I freeze the value of the original cell? Thanks a lot !!