Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BenjieLop

Default Can Excel alert me to a duplicate entry?

PeterM Wrote:
First of all a happy happy Holiday greetings from a grateful reader
here.
You guys are the best.....I'm wondering if it is possible, if Excel
can
notify me if I enter a duplicate number into a cell. I need to enter
serial
numbers of inventory, and sometimes I get my sheets mixed up, and enter
the
same info again. Can that be avoided??????

You can do this to prevent duplicate entries in a column:

1. Select a range where entries will be made (e.g., Cells A1:A500)
2. Go to Data/Validation/Custom
3. Enter this formula =countif($A$1:A500,A1)=1
4. Select "Error Alert" tab and enter any appropriate message

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019