Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge

Default Referencing Time in Excel

It's the rounding at all those decimal places that is causing the
issue...try using the ROUND function on you lookup times, say to 6 decimals
and then wrap the looked up value in a ROUND function too using the same
decimals,like

=VLOOKUP(ROUND(A1,6),Sheet1!$A$1:$B$24,2,FALSE)

Using a little trial and error you will only be losing precision in seconds
or probably milliseconds.

One way at least if that precision is not necessary

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"jjhmbh" wrote in
message ...

We have discovered a problem in referencing time using the LOOKUP
function and I haven't been able to resolve it using VLOOKUP or the
INDEX and MATCH combination

The easiest way to demonstrate the problem is to creat a list of times
from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm in 15 minute increments, then copy the list
into the adjacent column and convert that list into the decimal
equivalent. See below for what the list should look like. I expanded
the decimals to the maximum number of decimals.

10:00 0.416666666666667
10:15 0.427083333333333
10:30 0.437500000000000
10:45 0.447916666666667
11:00 0.458333333333333
11:15 0.468750000000000
11:30 0.479166666666667
11:45 0.489583333333333
12:00 0.500000000000000

Now if you write a formula using LOOKUP or VLOOKUP to try to return the
decimal equivalent of a time in the left column. It works fine except
at a few times like 10:45 and 11:30 when it returns the values for
10:30 and 11:15 respectively.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

--